Monday, January 9, 2012

Whatchu Talkin' Bout Willis?

Well, that's what he said anyway.  Who's he? He is my dadz.  Dadz took me to my most recent grooming visit, where they bathe me, and then blow me dry with this super cool machine, and end it all by trimming my nails.  My grooming visit, scheduled by my momma, just happened to be on New Years eve.  This is how it went....

My dadz friend just opened a pub in the neighborhood where we live, right across the street from my groomers.  The pub specializes in micro brews, where aside from guitars and music, this topic rates fairly high as a basis of discussion for my dadz and his friends.  So, when momma said, "Mattie's grooming appointment is on New Years eve," dadz, knowing that he could meet his friends for some fun, happily said, "Oh, I'll take him," momma was a bit suspicious, but didn't say anything.  New Years eve came and around lunch-time dadz took me to the groomer and then walked over to the pub to meet some of his friends for a burger and a beer, and some billiards.

Me, I was all happy at my groomers.  She uses some great organic shampoo with a special essential oil blend that my momma picked out for me.  I get to float around in their big hot tub, which is more like a warm tub, bubbles all over the place and I have fun dog paddling around a bit until my groomer says, "scuba dog, it's time for your blow dry."  Then, after my bath, my groomer, her name is Sandy, puts me in a little kennel that has warm air blown in it from all sides - it's like a huge, box-shaped, low-volume blow drier and I'm in the middle of it, just feeling all toasty and snuggly as I get softly dried.

In the mean time, back to the pub, dadz was playing pool and enjoying his beer with his friends.  While at the same time Sandy was putting the finishing touches on me, waxing my chin-fur in to a perfectly quaffed foo manchu, and then walked me over to the pub to meet my dadz and his pals.  Dadz friends are all excited to see me, and I even get a french fry for looking so suave.

Sandy, picking up a pool cue and nailing a shot, asks dadz, "are you all ready?"  Dadz, thinking Sandy is challenging him to a new billiards game, says, "you bet!" And, at dadz response, Sandy puts down the cue, puts on her coat, takes my leash, and says cheerily to dadz, "lets go!" Dadz, puzzled, says in his best Gary Coleman interpretation, "Whatchu talkin' bout Sandy?"

What dadz didn't know, and momma neglected to tell him, was that after I was done getting groomed momma had agreed to help Sandy down at the local food bank--we were going to pick up some meals and hope to find dog and cat food so we could take to some of the people who had signed up for the free food delivery.  Dadz, a bit started to learn that he had unwittingly volunteered for this duty, let alone to find out that some of our neighbors needed help, quickly recovered and asked his friends to join in. The meals were covered, but it was the pet food that was in short supply. My dadz friends, eight in total, went out and purchased big bags of dog and cat food, and together we made the rounds, delivering our goodies, and making this New Years Eve special....

Special, not for the individuals who received the food, but for my dadz and his friends.  Dadz said it was his best New Years eve ever, and he didn't need to wish for anything in 2012, that he was truly blessed.  When we got home, dadz didn't say anything to momma, just walked up to her and gave her a hug.  I watched them for a little while, and then walked over to the fireplace, snuggled up in my doggy bed and took a nap.

That was our New Years eve!  Hope yours was just as wonderful!

Lub and blessings,
MattieDog

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great way to ring in the new year. Yeah to your dad and his friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Noo Years Mattie, thanks you fur sharing your story. It duz sownd like a purrfikt noo years eve. We did go sleeps erly an missed that noo year coming, but its here now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story that is Mattie it was very Heart warming :)@soozi13

    ReplyDelete
  4. You has the most amazing family Mattie. You are always doing something good for someone else. You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mattie you have a truly special Dad, really you do! Thank for for telling us such a lovely True tail.

    Dash Kitten

    ReplyDelete
  6. He he, your mom be quite sneaky Mattie. I like the sound of your fur dryer too. I just get a rub with a towel and a chnace to sit by a radiator!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a wonderful story, little sweet tater! Your mom already knows about all of the people in your area who are in need, but she wanted your dad to see, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww dat sownds lyke da purrfect noo yeer, Mattie! And I am shur it made a great noo yeer fur da anipals dat got da fudz too! Happy Noo Yeer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great story! What a great New Year's Eve for all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful new years eve. bless you and your family xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. IntelliGoose wantz to know: would Sandy haz beaten your dadz in billiards? Did they put some beer in the meals for the neighbors? Did Gary Coleman gotz a beer? Waz your French fry nummy?
    Without knowing all the answers, we truly LUB this story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic way to start the New Year Mattie and Pops! *highPaws*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a wunnerful story. Reminds me of da good old days in da movies where neighbors would do dat. (sighs). Happy New Year! Purrs signed: Smokey

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a wonderful story. What a great ending to one year and beginning of another.

    ReplyDelete