Friday, April 27, 2012

Happiness Is......

video
Last Saturday I went for a long walk with my momma and a friend.  The day was sunny, the sky was blue, small little while puffy clouds drifted by and there were lots of things for me to sniff.  I was happy.

Some people think it takes a lot to make them happy.  'If I had that car, that man or woman...." that thing that will hypothetically complete us and somehow, magically, make us happy.  Looking externally for what should come from internal knowing.  Dogs don't do that.  While we desire a good juicy bone every now and again, all we really want is to be loved and the opportunity to love in return.  

Sometimes me and momma help out at a women's shelter. Momma helps wash clothes, make the beds and prepare food.  I mostly sit and greet the women entering the shelter. All of the women are really glad to see me.  They stoop to pet me and give me little apple treats, and in return I wag my tail at them and tilt my head to-and-fro, being cute in hopes of getting extra loving.

I always look forward to seeing Molly, one of the pseudo shelter regulars.  Molly lost her job, and as a result her house and health insurance. Molly mostly makes ends meet by taking day jobs. Molly has high blood pressure and uses her pennies wisely to pay for her medications.  But Molly also gives some of her hard earned money to the local animal shelter. Not a lot, but it's a lot to Molly - and in return all that Molly asks is to be a volunteer and walk the dogs.  So after momma finishes her shift, me, momma and Molly go down to the animal shelter and walk some of the dogs. Molly likes the big rowdy guys, and momma and me stick with the smaller little fuzzy pooches, and sometimes I like to just watch the kitties.  Then when the walk sessions are over, we all pile back in to momma's car and take Molly back to the women's shelter where she showers and rests for the night.

Saturday was the last time I saw Molly.  When we dropped her off at the shelter she turned to me and gave me a big hug and rubbed my ears - and then she looked at momma with a big smile and said, "thank you for caring about me."  Molly was happy.

Recognize that the simple things, those genuine moments of connecting with someone or something are all you need to be happy.  I am happy and I wish happiness for you.

With lub,
MattieDog

14 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. Your mama is a wonderful person. God Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Mattie..first of all pls tell momma and dadda to put more videos of u I luv them! And also u and ur momma are special for helping others...U always touch my heart!! "lub u"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your momma are such awsome loving caring adorable beings ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Mattie - you and your mama are so wonderful to everyone. I know you both are the highlight of everyone's day that you are friends with. You always give of yourselves and ask nothing in return. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little dog, you blow my mind! You are connected with the true meaning(s) of life. You get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are happiness, Mattiedog. We lub you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your lovely family keep paying it forward and forward.Bless you nd Pasihuggggs

    ReplyDelete
  8. bless you sweet mattie and your fambly we lub you xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and your mom are very special Mattie. I enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's beautiful, little sweet tater! It brought tears to my eyes. I tell people all the time that I like the simple things in life: a sunny day, time spent with a good friend, a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lub u n ur bloggy but it almost always makes H2 hab leaky eyes.

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are so proud to be your furriends. You and your Momma are so very special. Each and every bloggy post is a wonderful life lesson for us all. Thank you so much. LOVE & HUGS, Jinny, Pixel & Mama

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happines is......run around the yard...ehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mattie you are adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete