Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Everyday is an Opportunity

Me & Arrowroot
The other day dadz and I were walking around the property, checking on fence lines and nailing up fallen boards.  I sit and watch him, his eyes focused on the curled barbed wire, checking the gaps to make sure it is attached to the weathered split-board fence.  We walk over a few little hills, I wander about sniffing the arrowroot flowers growing in the mounds that surround the barn. "Bubby-flowers," that's what momma and dadz call the arrowroot - one of my nicknames is Bubby - why they named this flower after me is curious, dadz says it's because their bright yellow color reminds him of my fur when the sun shine's on me.

Dadz grasps the barbed wire in his gloved hands and pulls the wiring tight in an attempt to reconnect it to the fence, and minimize the space between the posts so the mule deer don't get in and nibble on our newly planted vegetable garden.  Momma's proud of her vegetable garden. "I can make salsa anytime we want," momma said to dadz in her effort to establish the need to have a garden...and to get dadz to till up the land.  Dadz didn't seem to understand momma's need to grow things that she could go down to the store and buy, but he ended up tilling the land, planting the seeds, connecting the hose that waters the garden, and pretty much everything else to make momma's garden grow.

No matter how many times dadz tries to reconnect the wiring, it pops off of the fence.  He grips the wire and tries again, "This had better work this time," dadz mutters to the fence while he twists the wire and looks at me. I use my eyes to convey, "I can't help you dadz, I have no thumbs!" I think he gets what I'm saying because he looks back to the fence and continues to twist the wire and reconnect it to the splintered wood pole that holds the fencing in place.

After about eight attempts, and numerous colorful words, dadz sits down next to me - he slips off his worn gloves, placing them next to me.  Dadz hand touches my back and I can tell we're going to settle in for a little spell of 'watch the world go by.' "Well, Mattie, the fence doesn't want to work with me today.... lets sit here and think about this for a while." By 'sit here,' I know that dadz really means to lay down in the cool shade of the big tree and rest a while.  "The fence will be here tomorrow, everyday is an opportunity," said dadz.

I think about that. Every day is an opportunity, dadz is right. It's an opportunity to be with friends or make new friends, be joyous or create joy, be thoughtful to others, help someone, laugh a little bit...or fix a fence, or try to fix a fence. And, every day is an opportunity to lay under a tree and watch the world go by - without a worry, with your dadz. I like fence fixing days. I hope you find a fence that needs fixing, it's not important that you fix it, just that you put some time in to trying - and that you enjoy the journey.

With lub,
MattieDog

2 comments:

  1. Ello for you MAttie old pal...is good to ear your werds agane.....they is always comfirtin for us....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great musings, Mattie. And what a lovely story!

    ReplyDelete